Monday, March 4, 2013

It's Always Great to be in Hong Kong!

As I prepare to leave Taiwan this year, I just had to make one last trip to Hong Kong and since my sisters were going to visit during Chinese New Year, we decided to meet up there to spend the holiday together with family and relatives.
The yearly traditional CNY lunch at Grandma's home.
Delicious homemade radish cake. I'm drooling!

My favourite cousin. She always keeps us (well apparently, mostly just me and D) entertained with her chattiness and ideas.

Since we were in Hong Kong for CNY , we decided to join in the festivities and go check out the flower market in Mong Kok. Big mistake! The line just to get into the park area was ridiculously long. So imagine my relief when we finally got in and I could see the fairgrounds at a distance.
You'd better be so worth it!

I wanted to jump for joy! That was until I was this.
Really, flower market? After all that lining up, this is what I get rewarded with? More lining up?

Needless to say we didn't bother trying to get any further into the market. And truth be told, it wasn't all that exciting for us because we see this kind of set up in Taiwan all the time. It's just like a night market so we took a picture and called it a day.

Pat on the backs for making it this far without getting trampled on. I'm just surprised that I didn't need to use the bathroom once during this crazy debacle.

It's a rare occasion indeed that you'll find both of my sisters and I in Hong Kong at the same time so we took advantage of this and went to pay our respects to our beloved grandfather and uncle whom we love very dearly and keep close to our hearts. They are resting at opposite ends of the MTR so we took some snapshots on our way there. 

Dad and his daughters.
With our Aunt 3. She is awesome.
Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time to meet up with my friends as each day was packed with spending time with the family. However, I did find the time to meet up, albeit very briefly, with my good friend Aaron. His children are growing up very quickly! They know how to speak now!

Cute little Munchkins!
CNY in Hong Kong is an experience like no other. Growing up in Toronto, we did get red envelopes and we celebrated the holiday by having dinner, but as we got older, the tradition seemed to have dwindled. It was not until a few years ago when I experienced my first CNY in Hong Kong that I finally realized what Chinese New Year was supposed to be like! All the delicious food, spending quality time with family and relatives and oh yes, did I mention the red envelopes?
These are just the envelopes I thought were worthy of keeping. Most of them didn't make the cut and ended up in the trash.
And the food...YUM! Warning: the following pictures will make you hungry! Well...they made me hungry.


What's a trip to Hong Kong without having some dim sum?  Excellent dim sum at Tsui Hang Village at Miramar Mall in TST. (I didn't get a chance to take pictures this time so I put up some pictures my friend, Cat, took when we went to HK together last October. =p)
This was something interesting I had never encountered before. Pineapple bun with char siu (roasted pork) stuffing. 
The annual seafood dinner extravaganza and the annual Ching family get-together.

Needless to say, we stuffed ourselves silly.

Farewell Hong Kong, but only for now.We will definitely meet again soon!


Thank you for reading and please leave a comment for me. =D

Mel
 P.S. While in Hong Kong, I got the chance to go hiking on Dragon's Back in Shek O. That will be covered  in the next blog.

6 comments:

  1. I love reading about your adventures.. keep them coming!! btw.. if G knew that you went to the Dragon's back in Shek O.. he would be jelly!! xoxo~coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support, C! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope to get back into blogging. =D
      The hike really was great...though not a usual thing to do on a trip to HK.
      I'll make sure to post that blog on G's page. LOL

      Delete
  2. Yumm!

    I didn't even realize you took pics of our food.. I guess I was too busy stuffing my face!

    I had a lot of fun, and it was an experience.. but I don't think I'll be going to HK for CNY again for a long while. It was exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you were...that you were...Actually we all were stuffing our faces.
      Ya, I was able to take quick shots of the food before people dug into them...Well, some of them anyway.

      You're right, it was exhausting but I think it was because you had to take A around to do some sightseeing as well. It's different when you just go to hang out and eat. Well, and to get lai see.

      Delete
  3. How come your name is little bucket? lol.....

    Oh dragoonn's backkkk..... I've only visited dragon's back through instagram via hastag #dragonsback , no one wanted to go with me and I mean no one, even some of my HK local friends, they've never even heard of it, what??

    How was locating the entrance? I saw some blog that said you had to take the MTR, to a bus, to a mini bus, to a rickshaw, to a camel ride and so forth, looked complicated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gee! It's a name that D gave me. That's what my Chinese name sounds like in Mandarin.

      You're right about the locals never having heard of it. When I told my family, they were like huh?

      Anyways, it was really easy to get to; it's just an MTR and bus ride away. Though it would have been cool to have ridden in a rickshaw and on a camel. lol
      It was a very nice hike. I'm in the midst of putting that blog up as we speak. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete